Village History and the Museum

Boroughs of Grünberg
(Wikipedia in German Only)

Arms of Grünberg A notable and significant chapter in the later history of Grünberg starts with the Hessian local government reform in the early 1970's. At that time, through adept negotiations, during the tenure of the then mayor and later honorary citizen Karl Anschütz, 13 until then independent, honorarily administered villages, in a radius of 2-12 kilometers, voluntarily incorporated into the city of Grünberg. Museum im Spital Glasvorbau

Their mostly agrarian defined history found its home in the light flooded modern glass addition of the museum, providing a welcoming and giving entrance to the old hospital building. In the midst of the staircase is an elevator shaft covered with a collage of village life of the past century. The entry hall displays framed pictures of notable older building from each of the 13 boroughs. Rounding out this area is a brief synopsis of important historic dates.

Based on the date of their first mention, all parts of modern Grünberg have medieval foundations. Amongst them are the oldest Lardenbach (1036/1051), Queckborn (1108), Stangenrod (1220), and Harbach (1243) and the youngest Weickartshain (1443). In Queckborn, which saw an early early-industrial development in the last century, there are remains of a still older castle in the area of late the Romanesque church and a local knight lineage is although documented.

Romanesque churches can also be found in Harbach and Stangenrod. In the same parish in the neighboring village of Lehnheim is a modern church community center from the 20th century. The village of Beltershain is adorned by a very small late Gothic church. In Lardenbach there are small timber-framed churches, mostly built in the 17th and 18th century. In Klein-Eichen, Reinhardshain, Stockhausen and Weickartshain there are combined former school/prayer rooms of the style. They have Noteworthy construction, but are not ornate.

Göbelnrod is without its own church building, but has a clock tower with a historic bell from the old city church of Grünberg and has, like Lumda and Weickartshein, since the Hessentag 1980, a modern community center. Noteworthy are the following other community facilities: in Weitershain the representative converted school, in Queckborn and Stangenrod the gymnasiums, and in Stockhausen one of the first "Dorfgemeinschaftshäuser" (village community centers).

For the eastern parts of the city ore mining was of economic importance until the middle of last (20th) century.

Finally, in a number of boroughs old school buildings, train stations, parsonages, forester's houses, as well as wayside shrines, water towers, elevated tanks, wells, springs, and striking oaks or lime trees evoke historical memories.

| Sitemap | Impressum | Copyright © 2010 Freundeskreis Museum Grünberg. All Rights Reserved